The four 20th century American colts to win four Derbies are Claude, Black Gold, Smarten and Olympio. Following up on that question, can anyone name a 21st century colt with four Derbies to his credit?
Four American 3-year-old colts won four Derbies each during the 20th century. Can you name all four?
Looks like last week's question was tougher than I thought. For the record, Major Treat was Man o' War's stable pony, Snowball was Cigar's, Steamboat was Seattle Slew's, Lava Man was I'll Have Another's, and Mouse was the stable pony of Monarchos.
This week's question concerns a European-born stallion whose dirty secret was revealed by a punch in the gut. While his undesirable trait made him a tough sell in Europe, it did him no harm with American breeders, and he proved a notable success after his importation. Who was he, and what was his secret flaw?
Many top racehorses have had regular stable ponies who gained fame in association with their famous friends. Name the racers associated with the following ponies: 1) Major Treat, 2) Snowball, 3) Steamboat, 4) Lava Man, and 5) Mouse.
Time for a special Breeders' Cup edition of the trivia challenge. Can anyone come up with the answers to all five questions by post time for the Breeders' Cup Classic tomorrow? As always, all answers can be found somewhere on the website.
1) Name the first Breeders' Cup winner to sire a Breeders' Cup winner and the first Breeders' Cup winner to foal a Breeders' Cup winner. (Note: The parent and foal do not necessarily have to have won the same Breeders' Cup race.)
2) Name the first horse to have won two different Breeders' Cup races.
3) Only two horses have won three Breeders' Cup races. Name them.
4) Two Breeders' Cup Classic winners have previous namesakes that were also stakes winners, although not nearly so distinguished. Identify these two horses with the recycled names.
5) Name the Breeders' Cup winners who had the following nicknames: "Daisy," "Blackie," "Lazarus," and "Honeybear."
I'm Avalyn Hunter, an author, pedigree researcher and longtime racing fan.