This champion was sired by a horse that won only one race, was out of a mare that failed to place, and was trampled on as a foal to boot, leaving him with chronic soundness issues. He could have been claimed for as little as US$1,500 early in his career but later became the best American stayer of his day. Who was he?
This week's trivia challenge is another five-part special centered on the Preakness Stakes. See if you can come up with the answers by post time.
1) A notoriously strong-willed animal who was the terror of starting crews throughout his career, this Preakness winner earned the nickname "The Iron Horse" after starting 103 times. Prior to many of these starts, he dragged two or three assistant starters all over the track for as much as 15 minutes, leaving the question open as to how many races he might have won had he not insisted on squandering his energies in this way. Who was he?
2) This Preakness Stakes winner was a champion of the highest class on the track but later achieved a less-desirable milestone: he became the first horse to receive radiation treatment for cancer. Who was he?
3) Who was the first Preakness Stakes winner to sire a Preakness winner?
4) Who was the first trainer to condition different winners of the Kentucky Derby and Preakness Stakes in the same year?
5) This Preakness winner was the first horse to run in all three legs of what is now considered the American Triple Crown series. Who was he?
This grandson of Northern Dancer had a name that meant "a brook" in Arabic, and that was a fair description of his impact as a racehorse. As a sire in South America, however, his influence could be better compared to the mighty Amazon River, as he picked up a total of 20 sire titles. Who was he?
In honor of the Kentucky Derby, here's a special five-question challenge. See if you can answer all the questions by post time!
1) What Kentucky Derby winner shared his name with his trainer?
2) This Kentucky Derby winner was the subject of the first sports documentary to use multiple cameras during filming. Who was he?
3) What Kentucky Derby winner is the namesake for a line of Australian baked goods?
4) What Kentucky Derby winner was the first to be the subject of a stewards' inquiry regarding the race?
5) What is the latest day of the year on which the Kentucky Derby has ever been run?
I'm Avalyn Hunter, an author, pedigree researcher and longtime racing fan with a particular interest in Thoroughbred mares and their contributions to the history of the breed.